Friday, October 19, 2012

Paint Party Friday Week 32 Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Aimee from Artsyville




photo courtesy of Artsyville
Welcome to Week 32 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) This week's featured artist creates bright, colorful, and fun paintings with charming and thoughtful words that match her vibrant personality. Please welcome Aimee from Artsyville!
 
image courtesy of Artsyville
Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?) I’m not primarily a painter, but I use paint and love it! Mostly I write and illustrate hand lettered poems and phrases, and I do use paints with those sometimes. But I'm a big crafter too, and this is where I really go nuts with paint!

image courtesy of Artsyville
What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings? For paint in my illustrations, I go with gouache. It’s chalky and has a weird texture, which gets a lot of people all riled up, but personally, I love the thickness and boldness of it. It’s like painting with cream, and it’s excellent for filling in little doodle details, which I love, and covering up my mistakes, of which I make plenty.

image courtesy of Artsyville
I love watercolor, too. Sometimes, I’ll work backwards from my usual method of creating, and toss a bunch of watercolor splotches on paper. After they’ve dried, I let the shapes guide my writing and my word choices, since I’m restricted by the sizes of those shapes. I use this method a lot for my journal pages.

Liquid watercolors (any kind) and acrylics (Liquitex) are my favorite for craft projects.

image courtesy of Artsyville
What is your favorite thing to paint? Why? Objects! Things that have no expectations -- and even things that don't expect to be painted in the first place. Pumpkins! Chairs! Whatever is there. I’m much freer with paint when I’m in crafty mode rather than deciding where it should go on an illustration. I love to slap paints on kraft paper grocery bags. I cut them apart, lay them flat, paint in random patterns, and then cut them up for collage pieces or craft projects.

image courtesy of Artsyville
What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far? It’s not so much a particular moment as it is a feeling I get when I put a brush onto a surface. The moment a brush imparts that bright splotch of color... it’s like the first sip of an excellent beer or a real, full-sugared Coke. It doesn’t even matter to me if it looks good or not.

image courtesy of Artsyville
What's next in your painting future? My family and I just went through a major relocation that has taken the better part of a year to work through, and the (un)settling process left me with very little time or emotional energy to take on new work. Some people are great about working their way creatively through strife, but instead I can only absorb and observe. So as the ideas popped up, I kept them in a thousand different notebooks, and now I have the time and the spirit to channel them. It will be a very busy fall in Artsyville! ♥

image courtesy of Artsyville

***
Thank you for bringing so much color and inspiration to the party, Aimee!

To learn more about Aimee, please visit her at:

http://artsyville.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/artsyville
http://www.facebook.com/artsyville?fref=ts

 **Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? (Of course you do!)
Click here for more details!**

Another fun and busy party last week with such lovely creations! Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

As always, please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.


Have a fun and creative week everyone!

38 comments:

  1. Hooray for Aimee's interview!

    Her artwork and blog rocks!
    So glad you are part of Paint Party Friday, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday ! see you all in the A M I am beat!
    Love -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the style and I will go visit your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Paint Friday to all and I will read this wonderful interview first thing tomorrow morning. I too am beat. Happy rest of the week to all.::yawn::Oh yes, I will visit your blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful and inspiring interview! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been enjoying your blog art and now your interview paints an even deeper picture of who you are and what you are about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting bright colourful blog. Thanks for highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow her for some time now - I love the happy feeling in her work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Aimee's work - she is so good with word-y ideas and her script work is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to meet Aimee. She has inspired me to try gouache paint and i agree that what happens is not always something you expect and you just accept what happens. Her vibrant work and lettering is fab and I really like her style.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such bright colorful art, great to meet and share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fresh (and colorful) approach. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love reading your interview. Think your choose of colors beautiful. Big Like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely interview from Aimee, and such bright cheerful work, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks so much for the feature, Kristin and EVA, and thanks everyone for the kind commentary! I did a bunch of handpainted haiku today -- come on over and make up your own haiku if you wish :)) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aimee's work is so bright and beautiful! SO inspirational...I have some of the same feelings when I put brush to paper. SO cool to have kindred spirits out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a number one Aimee fan and have her magnets on my fridge and my DIL loves her book. Great seeing your interview Aimee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love Aimee's colorful art and love the answer she gave to her proudest, greatest achievement-well done! Thank you Kristin and EVA for the FAB parties!! PS, EVA I did take off the word verification :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oops don't know what just happened in above post but the reply should be by Linda K :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such beautiful artwork..vibrant and gorgeous..and lovely interview!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was really glad to learn more about Aimee. I have long admired her blog, and love participating in "List it Tuesday," which happens every ... Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. More progress about my bird love painting...

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad to be back home and able to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great interview. i love aimee's bright, bold colors... and the comparison to the "real, full-sugared coke" is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great interview.... I love Aimee's unique style... so positive and uplifting.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed the interview and the colourful inspiration of Aimee's work.
    Her art work makes for a very Happy place to be.
    Thanks for sharing .

    Running late and will post last week's painting ….only it has changed.

    Annabelle ~^..^~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay Aimee! Favorite inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for introducing us to Aimee's work and for hosting! Happy Friday!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am really excited to be participating in your Paint Party Friday for the 1st time. I am excited to be a part of such a creative bunch of people and I look forward to looking at all of your artwork!
    Great interview as well!
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow...Aimee...this is so different! Lovely hues...so colourful...thts what struck me the most! This is what PPF is all about...so much variety in art! Loved it Eva & Kristin:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always love learning a little more about my favorite artists, and Aimee is definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Aimees work and I'm glad she's back posting on her blog more often! I really missed her!! Excellent interview!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  33. Her work is so vibrant and lively!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aimee's work just bursts with color. Adding more birds for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Late as ever but wasn't going to participate….daughter's birthday today and going to see a Zombie walk, she adores "Walking Dead"…I don't…. : ) but I have to be a good mom : ) so I'm going : ( Just couldn't miss this party as well o ! O

    Lovely bright and cheerful art work Aimee, enjoyed the interview.

    Annabelle m^._ .^m ~^..^~

    ReplyDelete